, ,

Midweek Media–Using Gel Press Prints

Have you been bitten by the Gel Press bug? I love making prints with my gel press plate but then find I have a lot of leftover prints. Today at Midweek Media, I wanted to share a couple of ideas of what you can do with some of your prints–one that I really liked, and one that I didn’t.

This first card features a blue gel press print that I had made with a wood ring stencil in my stash. I liked it when I had originally made it, but had wanted to print to be uniformly colored (instead of the white section that didn’t get colored that you can see in the center bottom part of the print). So I decided to use it as a background and add a die cut to cover over some of the missed part of the print and add some additional details (such as splatter) to help bring the background together.


I die cut the panel with a stitched rectangular die in my stash and then ink blended around the edges of the panel with some darker blue ink and splattered the panel with gold watercolor and more of the darker blue ink mixed with water. A sentiment was stamped with blue ink and heat embossed and then I added a two-layer die cut. I decided to leave the upper leaves hanging off the sides of the card, but trimmed the bottom of the die cuts along the bottom edge of the panel. I then added a die cut matte layer of black cardstock behind the panel, and then added some blue and green sequins before adding the whole thing to a white A2-sized cardbase.

This second card features the purple leafy die cut using a unloved purple print. In part, this print was unloved because of some white spaces on the print. So after die cutting the print, I ink blended those white areas with a purple ink in my stash. I decided to use a leftover gray patterned paper in my stash for the second (background) layer on the plant. This time the background panel was a leftover piece of ink smooshed and then stencil sprayed backgrounds I had made for another project. As I did with the first card, I stamped the same sentiment on the bottom right part of the panel, this time with green ink and heat embossed it. I ink blended around the edges of the panel with black ink. The die cut leaves were glued onto the panel, and purple, blue and green sequins were added to the panel before the whole thing was glued onto an A2-sized white card base.

Thanks for reading!