, ,

Midweek Media: Keep upcycling with foil “waste” and corrugated cardboard

Hello crafty people! Today’s cards are made with more materials leftover from the holidays–this time corrugated cardboard from boxes. While I have shared some cards with corrugated cardboard before, I tried something new on these cards: using liquid glue to attach “waste” foil and using two different colors of embossing powder. Plus to be honest, I just really love how these cards came out.

Card #1

This card ended up being my favorite of the two, and while I made it second, I wanted to share it with you first. I started out by exposing the center of a piece of corrugated cardboard, and then added horizonal lines of glue across the cardboard over some of the dimensional ribs. I then rubbed a piece of foil “waste” across the cardboard so that some of the sparkly blue foil was attached to the cardboard. I did this a few times to get blue foil on a few places on the cardboard. I then used a circular die with a diameter just smaller than my A2-sized card base (about 4 inches) to die cut the cardboard.

On that first card (which you will see next,) I had pressed a brown pigment ink pad around the edge to add some very, very old sparkly green embossing powder. I decided that I didn’t really like the green, so I added a second layer of brown ink and then used some holographic embossing powder. I like how that you can see some of the green peeking out, but that it is more mellow. You can see the difference between the two layers of embossing powder and a single layer of holographic embossing powder over more of the brown pigment ink, like in more internal parts of the circular die cut.

Next, I turned to the flower. I pulled out a never-been-used-before stamp and die set and stamped it with a black pigment ink before heat embossing it with more of the holographic embossing powder. Then I die cut the flower with the corresponding die cut. It was watercolored with some green, red and yellow ink mixed with water. After the watercolor dried, I splattered the flower with some splatters of leftover watercolor to add some texture. A piece of gold foiled patterned paper was die cut with the same die to create a second shadow of the flower. I glued some scraps of cardstock behind the edges of several of the petals to create some dimension before gluing the stamped layer over the gold foiled one, making sure that the gold foil could be seen peeking out of the right side of the top layer. I then glued the die cut flower onto the circular corrugated cardboard.

As the glued dried, I started thinking about assembling the card. At first, I had thought that the card would look okay with just the circular die cut and flower, but decided at this point that it needed another layer. I grabbed some heavy kraft cardstock and die cut it with a deckle edge that is slightly smaller than A2-sized. I stamped a hello sentiment on the lower right corner of the deckle-edged paper with more of the black pigment ink and heat embossed it with more of the holographic embossing powder. The circular die cut was then glued onto the deckle trimmed cardstock and glued some green and blue sequins onto the card. Finally, the whole thing was glued onto a kraft-colored A2-sized card base.

Card #2

This second card features more of the corrugated cardboard than the first. After adding the blue waste foil to a piece of corrugated cardboard, I die cut it with the deckle edged A2-sized die and then heat embossed the edges with the green embossing powder and then adding more brown pigment ink and holographic embossing powder over the green. Again, there are some parts of the edges that feature just the brown ink and holographic embossing powder alone.

The flowers this time were watercolored with a darker purple and lighter purple ink and green ink for the stems. The shadow layer was die cut out of cardstock sprayed with blue spray. Again, scraps of cardstock were glued behind the edges of some of the petals to add dimension. The flower and shadow layer was glued onto the corrugated cardboard. This time light purple, blue and white sequins were glued onto the cardboard.

The whole thing was glued onto another A2-sized kraft cardbase.

I hope these cards inspire you to use some of your corrugated cardboard or other materials around the house in your projects!

Posted