, , ,

Midweek Media: Using Embossing Powder

Hello crafty people! Today I wanted to share a card with you that is featuring some embossing powder that was used to color my card, adhered to my card with water and gelatos before melting them permanently to the card.

This card started out with some leftovers from a previous project: a watercolor smooshed panel, and some colored watercolor paper. I decided to add a little more color to the watercolor background panel before die cutting and then using the colored watercolor scraps for the die cut succulents.

I have become obsessed with gelatos lately, and so mixed some green gelato with water on some acetate and watercolor smooshing the panel a few times, drying the watercolor paper panel before adding on. I then added some pink gelato mixed with water in the same manner. After the panel was dry, I added some random splotches of water and then added some gold pearl embossing powder over the water and then heat embossed the powder. To complete the panel, I die cut the panel with an A2-sized background panel die cut and set it aside.

Then I turned to the succulents on the bottom left corner of the card. As you can see, the top succulent was colored with a variety of pink hues, including a pink gelato. The pink gelato colored the topmost layer, and was then used to adhere some clear embossing powder to it which was then melted to create a clear pink coating over the die cut. The lower layers have some more of the gold pearl embossing powder along the edges adhered with water.  The green succulents behind were made in a similar manner, this time with a mint colored gelato.The layers of the succulents were glued together and then glued onto the panel. Before gluing the whole thing down, I pressed a mid-toned green ink pad onto the edges of the background panel to add a border, and then heat embossed the whole thing with clear embossing powder.

Green and mint colored sequins were placed around the succulent and in the upper corner of the panel.

To finish the card, I used an older woodblock sentient in my stash mostly because it fit the small amount of card left to the right of the floral cluster and stamped a scrap of watercolor paper with the same color green ink used for the border of the card’s background panel. It was heat embossed, trimmed with my scissors, and ink blended with a blending foam with the same color. It was attached to the card with foam tape. The whole thing was glued to an A2-sized white card base.